The Lit Salon
Join now to grow your community, submit your work (and get objective feedback), read fresh new writing and get advice from industry mentors.
We bring you news, views and insights from the intersection of books, technology and design. Sign up for just £7 a month, and dive in.
The Lit Platform exists to give industry newcomers a leg up. We offer practical professional experience on our editorial team, through to workshops and mentoring. Previous mentors include novelist Yara Rodrigues-Fowler, writer Wyl Menmuir and publisher Sam Jordison of Galley Beggar Press. Members will get access to these experts, and much more.
Join now for as little as £7 a month.
**The first 100 sign-ups receive a free copy of The Tilt, RRP £15.00**
Free places available for those from backgrounds currently underrepresented in the publishing industry, just email [email protected] to request.
And finally…members allow us to continue our community work and keeps our site free from ads. Hate pop ups? Us too. Join us!
The Lit Salon: Basic Membership
Early news and networking
- An early bird subscription to The Lit, the online literary journal that offers a counter-view of what’s happening in the world of writing (2-3 issues p/year).
- Be the first to hear about opportunities to submit your writing or illustration to The Lit
- Be the first in line to read it before launch day.
- Priority booking (24 hour window) for events and workshops aka super-useful networking opportunities
- Opportunity to receive free grants to our writing retreat in in Falmouth, Cornwall
- Newsletter-only content for members, with job opportunities, career advice from our editors, writing prompts and new writing.
- Discounts from our brand partners
- Opportunity to co-create – tell us what skills and advice you need, and we’ll try to fulfil it.
The Lit Salon: Enhanced Membership
All of the above, plus:
- Submit your work to us all year round, and receive free peer-led portfolio reviews by our team of readers.
- Free online workshops with our editors.
- 25% discounted access to practical in-person writing workshops and publishing industry Q&As with writers, publishers, editors and academics.
- 10% discount on mentoring, manuscript / CV feedback and editing services (usually £70 for one-hour session).
- Mock interviews and CV reviews to perfect your publishing career pathway
- 25% discounted access to our writing retreat in Falmouth, Cornwall
The Lit Salon: Premium Membership
All of the above, plus:
- Access to our writing retreat in Falmouth, Cornwall (one mid-week, two night stay per annum for the first 10 members to sign up). 30-40% off rates the rest of the time. Discounts available for bringing a guest.
- Monthly one-to-one mentoring (30 mins)
- Free access to practical in-person writing workshops and publishing industry Q&As with writers, publishers, editors and academics.
- Free mentoring session with editors of The Lit (usually £70 for one-hour session).
- 25% discount on mentoring, manuscript / CV feedback and editing services (usually £70 for one-hour session).
Show don’t tell
We believe it reads better if you show, rather than tell, so here’s some feedback from our previous project partners:
“I learnt how a publishing team works together to produce and launch a publication; I hadn’t seen how the different roles interacted in real time before so it was good to see how the theory I had previously learnt played out in reality.”
MA Publishing student, University of Exeter
“I am so thankful for organisations like yours providing support to writers in the margins of the industry. I decided to write the novel after I’d had two kids and I knew it would be very difficult for me to make contacts with people ‘on the inside’ while looking after two young children. I hoped against hope that somehow I’d get someone to read it, which incentivised me to finish it. To finally have it in the right hands and be told it’s a good novel is beyond what I imagined possible.”
Writer Sofia Abasola mentored by novelist Yara Rodrigues Fowler.
We don’t have all the answers though, which is where you come in. The above not looking good to you? Let us know what YOU want to see. We hold regular feedback sessions with members, so we are never assuming, always asking.