The Welsh Books Council hired us to work with a group of Welsh publishers which it helps fund. The brief was to develop and deliver media campaigns for individual books, with a specific focus on extending their profile beyond Wales. As part of our work we also ran a full day workshop to support the publishers in developing their online presence and communications.
Working closely with the publishers, and the Welsh Books Council, we selected a range of titles to promote each quarter. The books we selected included a wide range of adult and children’s, fiction and non-fiction titles.
Understanding the needs of the individual publishers and authors was key to delivering successful campaigns. We worked closely with them throughout, creating focused campaigns that targeted individual journalists, broadcasters and commentators whose interests were in line with each title, in order to deliver tangible results.
As well as regular contact calls with publishers and authors we compiled quarterly reports for the Welsh Books Council.
- BBC Radio 4 Woman’s Hour interview with Angela V John, author of Turning the Tide
- BBC Radio 4 World Tonight interview plus coverage in the Daily Mail, Jewish Chronicle, the Jewish Telegraph and Good Morning Wales for The Auschwitz Goalkeeper by Ron Jones and Joe Lovejoy
- Times Education Supplement article about the Dylan Thomas and the Welsh curriculum
- Reviews and written pieces in the Independent, Guardian, Daily Mail, The Lady and the Londonist for Tip of My Tongue by Trezza Azzopardi
Digital Marketing Workshop
In autumn 2013 we ran a Digital Marketing Workshop for the publishers we were working with. The full-day workshop was designed to help publishers develop or step-up their own online presence and consumer engagement strategies. We blended learning and practical sessions in which the publishers collaborated to address specific challenges they were facing.
The workshop covered the following areas:
- SEO and Discovery – principals, how-to’s and handy tools
- Author Profiles – helping your authors maximise their online presence
- Email Marketing – growing your lists and best practice for campaigns
- Social Media – exploring the strengths of different platforms and how to use each effectively
- Data – gathering it and using it to shape your activity
We have created and run bespoke workshops for other publishers, including two for Faber Factory, and you can find out more about those here. If you are interested in us creating tailored workshops for you, get in touch.